Quite the contrary. Brendan Cahill and Michael Quinn, the co-founders of P&ID, had over 30 years’ experience of engineering projects in Nigeria when they launched P&ID along with an experienced team of engineers and project managers. This includes projects that had a real and measurably positive impact for the Nigerian economy and people, such as upgrading the port infrastructure at Nigerian ports in Lagos and Calabar and establishing Africa’s first-ever gas pressure vessel manufacturing facility – including installation at nine sites across Nigeria (known as the “Butanization Project”). The founders of P&ID have a track record of delivering in Nigeria and for Nigerians. The P&ID project was to be their swan song project after over three decades of public works projects in the country. Indeed, if the Nigerian Government had not ripped up the Gas Supply and Processing Agreement (GSPA), the P&ID project would have provided Nigerians with real benefits – large amounts of gas for electricity generation and industrialization, along with an ownership stake in a valuable company – which Nigeria would have received for free in exchange for the byproducts of the gas processing. Nigeria would have kept 85% of the gas for electricity generation and industrialization, with P&ID receiving the remaining 15% to sell on the commercial markets.
P&ID Facts > Myth/Fact > P&ID’s founders never had any intention to help the Nigerian people – this contract was only about profiteering.